Sunday, November 19, 2006

Jeffreys Bay, South Africa

June 18-July 1

The trip began in the town of Jeffreys Bay, home of the world famous surfspot "Supertubes". Adam had been here for a month already, doing his best to survive the long flatspell that had plagued South Africa thus far. The south Atlantic had only produced a few days of quality waves up until the day of my arrival.



Due to the 12 hour time difference, I was up the next morning making cofee at about 3 AM. At the first sign of light I ran down the dew covered boardwalk, armed with my board and 3/4 fullsuit. I was back in winter again, the offshore winds on the back of my neck brought a shiver through my spine. As the sun poked its nose above the eastern mountains, the orange and red glow of the aloe flowers shimered in the golden light. The waves were 4-6 foot and perfect with only one other person out before me. I jumped off the point at the keyhole in the reef just intime for the set of 6 waves to break on by head and sweep me all the way to the inside of the point.




Soon I was back at the top of the point waiting for my first wave. The hordes of surfers had begun to awaken from their slumber, and surfers were lining up like an army of ants eager to join me at the peak. The first wave of the set arrives, I spin and go...the stiff offshores trying to hold me back... bottom turn to a snap under the lip.....I find my line and I am deep inside the perfection of "Supers".

We spent another ten days in J-Bay, scored a couple of solid swells, met a heap of really cool surfers from around the world, and throughly enjoyed the hospitality of Garry at hotel Crystal cove.
But it was time to depart. J-bay has the feel of a Southern California beach town, not Africa. We were eager to visit a place that was much wilder, so we headed out to the Transkei.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home